USA 116, Australia 85

When they get back home, the Aussi men’s basketball team should rent “Hoosiers.” If I remember right, the Huskers don’t get beat by 31.

But I will say this: the Boomers can shoot. Though they never led, they played tough in the first half, snuffing Team USA’s inside game. I read an article where the Aussi coach said they had a chance if they could get their defense set, and they did just that. They slowed the game, keeping LeBrizzle and company from turning on the afterburners. There were no easy lanes and the American’s were forced to create. The second half, though…


I actually watched this game. KKJZ woke me at 5 a.m. and I turned on the TV and watched from bed. I turned it off at halftime to get a little shut eye. (Because the Olympic basketball channel is the live feed, a stationary view of the arena is shown at halftime.) When I turned it back on the Redeem Team was in the middle of a 14-0 run.

The game provided a good example of how one basket can change everything. Just nine points down as the second quarter was winding down, the Aussi’s were looking to go into halftime as the only team to hold Team USA to a single digit lead at intermission. They looked strong and I thought they had a very good chance of pulling off the upset. But at the buzzer, Deron Williams hit a crucial three. Huge bucket. It gave Team USA a psychological boost as they went into the locker room (at one point they had shot 2-11 from behind the arc), and I’m sure it had the opposite affect on the Aussi’s. To open the second half, Kobe Bryant and Carmelo Anthony hit threes on consecutive possessions. A nine point deficit had doubled in less than a minute of game play.

There was an Aussi possession in the second half that could sum it up in a nutshell. One of their centers posted up and took a shot over Dwight Howard, I believe. When the ball missed the target there were four white jersey’s waiting for the rebound. All the green jersey’s were already at the other end of the court.

Free throws: They’re free shots, people! The clock isn’t running and nobody is guarding you. One reason that the Aussi’s stayed close in the first half, besides poor perimeter shooting, was missed free throws. I swear each time an American made it to the strike he missed the first and made the second. When it comes to free throws, though, I'm no one to talk. I always had a hard time with free throws. There's something so awkward and uncomfortable about standing in place, with nobody in your face, just you, the ball, and the basket. It doesn't feel right. Regardless, every other team in the tournament is shooting 70-80 percent from the line (not a factual stat, but it seems that way to me), so it is a skill one can master. And they don't just make the shot, either. The ball goes in with authority, snapping the net. Swoosh.

Comments

Popular Posts