Beer of the Weekend #17: Paulaner Hefe-Weizen

Oh, shit. I’m watching the opening ceremony of the Olympics and I just saw my first presidential campaign commercial. Fuck — it’s begun already. I would much rather watch the athletes from Luxembourg walk onto the track in Beijing than advertisements for a geriatric cowboy. Thank God I don’t watch much TV.

On a side note, I thought it was sad that the United States’ entrance into the stadium was followed immediately by a Budweiser commercial. Shameful.

The beer this weekend is Paulaner Hefe-Weizen, brewed by Paulaner of Munich, Germany.


Now, this beer should not be confused with Beer of the Weekend #9, Paulaner Original Munich Premium Lager. It’s brewed by the same company, but very different. The earlier Paulaner was a lager, but this is a hefeweizen. In German, hefeweizen means “yeast wheat.” The barley normally used in the brewing process is replaced with wheat. Hefeweizens in Germany are also known was weissbier, “white beer,” because of their pale head and cloudy appearance.

Serving type: Six 12-ounce bottles.

Appearance
: Cloudy gold-bronze with a thick head that rose very quickly (you should wet the inside of the glass before pouring to control its rise) and lingered for a long time.

Smell: Very fruity. I got a ripe whiff of banana and strawberry. Grainy wheat, too. Reminds me of a fresh cut slice of whole wheat bread.

Taste: I have to admit, I had my reservations after the smell. It gave me a flashback to that night in my friend’s basement when we shared a 20-ounce Summit “Heave-wheezen.” But I was pleasantly surprised. It’s very smooth and tasty. The bananas from the smell are there and so are the strawberries. No hops at the back of the mouth. Everything is blended and balanced perfectly with the wheat. It’s thirst quenching, too, which is why the Germans drink it during the summer. It gets better as it warms.

Drinkabilty: Very drinkable. I’m not sure how this would fare on a hot day (I’ll have to try it), but it is a good, tasty every day beer.

Fun facts about Paulaner Hefe-Weizen:

-Serving temp: 48-54°F.

-Alcohol content: 5.50 percent ABV.

-A couple weeks ago I ordered a book from Prairie Lights (support local book stores!): “Great Beer Guide” by Michael Jackson. No, not that Michael Jackson, or the Michael Jackson who played wide receiver for the Cleveland Browns. Michael Jackson is the world’s greatest beer connoisseur. Beer is his life. Anyway, the book profiles 500 of the world’s classic beers, and included is Paulaner Hefe-Weizen.

-Wheat beer should ideally be served in a wheat beer glass, a half-liter glass much taller than the bar pint I normally use. Special care should be taken when using wheat beer glasses. Because it is wider at the top, the glass becomes top-heavy at the end of the pour. And, since the glass is thinner at the top, those who want to toast and touch glasses should do so at the bottom where the glass is thicker.

-According to Wikipedia, alternate terms for hefeweizen are hefeweißbier, weißbier, hefeweiße, dunkelweizen, weizenbock, or weizenstarkbier. Weizenbock, however, is not considered a hefeweizen unless it is unfiltered.


The Quiet Man’s grade: My hefeweizen phobia has been obliterated. A.

Comments

Popular Posts