Beer of the Weekend #995: Big D IPA

The beer of the weekend was another (and maybe the last) beer from my mom’s Texas haul: Big D IPA, brewed by Lakewood Brewing of Garland, Texas.

Big D IPA

Serving type: 12-ounce can. There is no freshness date.

Appearance: Poured into my Number One Pint Glass. The color is medium amber. Two fingers of dense, buttery, bubbly head dissipates very slowly.

Smell: Sweet and sticky, though not fruity or citrusy. There are scents of candy caramel, cherry licorice, cocoa, apricot, a touch of arbor, peach, and mango. It smells more like pit fruit than anything else.

Taste: Smooth, thick, and creamy. It is a throwback to IPA circa 2004 and brings to mind Redhook for some reason. (I remember buying a Redhook-brewed sixer at John’s around 2004 but don’t recall what it was. It was probably ESB.) The bitterness is medium to strong and reminiscent of my first IPA bite. There are flavors of caramel, honey (which gives it a hot toddy character), grapefruit, peach, mango, and arboreal hops. The Foxy Lady says it tastes like someone “crushed a peach pit.”

Fun facts about Big D:

• Style: IPA.

• Price: $12.99 for a sixer of 12-ounce cans at the Total Wine & More on East Stacy Road in Allen, Texas.

• Alcohol content: The can says 8 percent ABV but Lakewood’s website pegs the ABV at 8.4 percent. Regardless, it is a big IPA.

• IBU: 70.

• Here is the description via the website:

Dallas likes things big; big cars, big buildings and big beers. So we took the best of East coast and West coast IPAs to make a Double IPA as big as…well, you know.

• I’m a sucker for anything named Big D. As I’ve mentioned in the past, Big D was the name of my family’s 1982 Oldsmobile 88 when I was a kid. We called her Big D because she had a diesel engine. She was a good car. I see a car much like her around Mount Vernon, but I do not think it is a diesel. It lacks that distinctive diesel aroma, which trailed Big D wherever she went.

• Really dig the Big D drawing on the other side of the can:

Big D

• When I heard one could pay to have a message written on a Ukrainian artillery shell, I tried to think of a fitting quote from
The Hunt for Red October. I was stumped at the time. Bobblehead suggested “Give me a ping, Vasili. One ping only, please.” Thinking about it now, though, I think I would buy, “Fly, Big D.”

The Quiet Man’s grade: A-.

Comments

Popular Posts