Beer of the Weekend #989: Witch Slap

Since I would not miss much while the Hawkeyes were on offense, I walked to The Local in downtown Mount Vernon during the Iowa football game on Saturday. There, I filled my growler with something I’ve been drinking on tap at bars and restaurants and have wanted to review for a while: Witch Slap, brewed by Clock House Brewing of Cedar Rapids, Iowa.

Witch Slap

The dollhouse was on the move this weekend, which is why it is in the background.

Serving type:
64-ounce growler.

Appearance: Poured into a pint glass. The color is wheat and is opaque and looks very thick and creamy, almost like a smoothie. One finger of off-white, bubble-spotted, buttery head leaves a bubbly skim and trails of foam stuck to the glass.

Smell: Lots of tropical fruit and citrus. I get a mix of pineapple, grapefruit, and orange. It is piney as well. It is sticky and smoothie-like, and has a touch of weed dankness.

Taste: The mouthfeel is creamy and smooth. It is much like a smoothie, though not as thick. It is not as citrusy or tropical as the aroma, but the mix of grapefruit, pineapple, and orange is there. Oats come to mind as well, and there are touches of pine and caramel. It is very tasty and crushable. This batch is not as good as others I’ve had, so perhaps the keg needed to be rolled or it is just getting old.

Fun facts about Witch Slap:

• Style: New England/hazy IPA.

• Price: $16 for a 64-ounce growler fill at “The Local” in Mount Vernon. It looks like the official name is Glyn Mawr Winery-The Local, but everyone calls it “The Local.”

• Alcohol content: 6% ABV, which surprises me because I thought it was higher.

• I can’t find a story behind the name, but here is the description via the brewery’s website:


Come get your hands on our Hazy, Murky, Juicy Witch! We threw enough late addition hops at her that she’s sure to knock you off your bar stool. Low bitterness, high tropical fruit flavor, to be enjoyed by all.

I really like the label artwork, which I had not seen until now.

• Whenever I see the number 989, I always think of a radio station from the Quad Cities that I listened to in junior high: All Hit 98.9. Here’s a fun alumni site I found online.


The Quiet Man’s grade: B+/A-.

Comments

Popular Posts