Beer of the Weekend #985: Smoke Show

It’s October! Though Munich’s Oktoberfest winds down this weekend (it ends on Monday), märzen drinking season is just getting started for me. And I am opening it with Smoke Show, brewed by the Lion Bridge Brewing Company of Cedar Rapids, Iowa.

Smoke Show

I got a new iPhone recently, so my beer pics will be much improved. (I am bummed I no longer have the “square” photo option.)

Serving type: 12-ounce can. “08/15/2022 is printed on the bottom, but the bottom of the text is cut off so it is not easy to read.

Appearance: Poured into a stange. The color is medium caramel. Two fingers of billowy, bubbly, light caramel head leaves a thin collar and lace.

Smell: Campfire smoke mixed with caramel, toasted malt, and light esters. Smoke dominates, though there is a nice touch of spice (rye?).

Taste: Smoke dominates. It even coats the taste buds. It is spicy as well with a little earthy hops, and perhaps a little rye. (Though maybe not because it is not that sharp.) It warms to a nice blend and includes a touch of cherry licorice.

Fun facts about Smoke Show:

• Style: Märzen.

• Price: $10.99 at Benz Beverage Depot in Cedar Rapids.

• Alcohol content: 5 percent ABV.

• The term
smoke show makes me think of the Will Arnett show Flaked. I think smoke show was used in the second episode—one of only two I saw.

The Quiet Man’s grade: B+.

Comments

Popular Posts