Beer of the Weekend #986: Mango Fett

While rearranging stuff in my basement fridge last Friday, I found a four-pack I bought at Benz in September but forgot about. Oops! I have not drunk that haul as quickly as I thought I would, so I need to get drinking.

The beer last weekend was the third of four beers from that Benz haul: Mango Fett, brewed by the Franklin Street Brewing Company of Manchester, Iowa.

Mango Fett

Serving type: 16-ounce can. “07/18/2022” is printed on the bottom shoulder.

Appearance: Poured into a nonick pint glass. It is opaque lemonade gold with touches of amber. (I need to revisit the color guide in Mosher’s Tasting Beer to refine my descriptions.) About a finger of white head does not stick around for long and leaves streaks of skim and a thin, buttery collar.

Smell: It’s tropical, but not Hawaiian-Punch-cartoon-dude-jumping-into-your-face tropical. (His name, I learned, is Punchy.) There are scents of mango, a touch of pineapple, grapefruit, and citrus rind.

Taste: It mostly mirrors the aroma. Tropical fruit dominated by mango, a touch of pineapple, grapefruit, and rind. There is a subtle but nice bite that lingers on the taste buds. The flavors fade as the beer continues to warm, allowing the flavor of the haze to fill their place, though it is not vegetal or green.

Fun facts about Mango Fett:

• Style: Mango New England IPA.

• Price: $17.99 for a four-pack of 16-ounce cans at Benz Beverage Depot in Cedar Rapids. Paying $4.50 per can blows my mind, though it is still much cheaper than at a bar or restaurant.

• Alcohol content: The ABV is listed as 6.3 percent on Untappd.


The Quiet Man’s grade: B+.

Comments

Popular Posts