Beer of the Weekend #988: Split-Point Pilsner

Today would have been my grandma Wagner’s 100th birthday. She was a strong and hardworking mother of eight who loved to play cards (wild cards included), golf, and drink beer. To celebrate her life, I’m drinking beer.

Her favorite beer was Miller Lite. Tonight, though, I’m drinking a little something I picked up in Minneapolis recently: Split-Point Pilsner, brewed by the Steel Toe Brewing Company of St. Louis Park, Minnesota.

Split-Point Pilsner

Serving type: 12-ounce can. “CANNED ON 06/01/22” is printed on the bottom.

Appearance: Poured into a pilsner glass. The color is light gold. Two and a half fingers of white, fluffy, bubbly head leaves trails of foam.

Smell: Sharp earthy hops, lemon zest, and light bread.

Taste: Earthy hops are spicy and sharp on the tongue. Nice bite! There are flavors of light bread, a touch of muskmelon, and lemon citrus. It is a nice, hoppy pilsner. Bitterness lingers on the taste buds.

Fun facts about Split-Point Pilsner:

• Style: Steel Toe calls it “American-style Pilsner with German influence.”

• Price: $11 for a six-pack of 12-ounce cans at the Cork Dork Wine Co. on Cedar Avenue in Minneapolis.

• Alcohol content: 5 percent ABV.

• IBU: 38.

• According to the Steel Toe website, Split-Point is a “May/Aug seasonal,” which I assume means it is available May–August. (Another example of why I need to offer my copyediting skills to brewers.)

• Steel Toe describes the hops as floral instead of earthy. Hops have never been my strong suit.


The Quiet Man’s grade: B.

Comments

Popular Posts