Beer of the Weekend #826: Amber Waves

I was back in central Iowa this week and filled my growler with Amber Waves at the Twisted Vine Brewery in West Des Moines, Iowa.


The color seems more copper and amber than red, but it doesn’t really matter to me. A half-finger of buttery, tan head dissipates quickly, leaving a ring around the edge and a light, spotted skim. The aroma is malty and sweet with scents of caramel, cocoa, cherry licorice, light toast, maybe molasses, and brown sugar. The flavor, though, is surprisingly bitter; it has a strong, zesty bite! I definitely did not expect that based on the aroma; it is not sweet at all. As the beer continues to warm, though, caramel, cherry licorice, and chocolate gain prominence, but the bite remains quite strong.

Fun facts about Amber Waves:

• Style: Red/American ale.

• Price: $18 for a 64-ounce growler fill at the Twisted Vine brewery on the Westown Parkway in West Des Moines.

• Alcohol content: 5.2 percent ABV.

• IBU: 29.

• I made a note that the bartender did not use a hose when filling my growler. Naughty naughty.


The Quiet Man’s grade: B+.

Popular Posts