Deep Dish, 'Essential Mix (1998-07-12)'



It has been a while since I posted any music, so I thought I would try to end this extended posting drought by sharing Deep Dish’s BBC Radio 1 Essential Mix from 1998. (Is it from July 12 or December 7? Year-month-day is, I assume, pretty rare, so I bet it is December 7.)

I always heard good things about Deep Dish. They were hailed as standard bearers of house music in the late-nineties/early-naughties. However, I bought their Global Underground: Moscow CD and was very disappointed. Like I have said before, I do not like electronic music with vocals, especially singing. Most of the time, I think it ruins the carefully crafted melody of beats. Deep Dish’s Moscow CD was riddled with vocals and singing, and it became one of the few CDs I have given away or resold. Ever since then, I have associated Deep Dish with disappointment. However, this mix may be redeeming.

It is deep, well-paced, melodic, and hypnotic at times. I especially love the point after 48:00 when the beat and melody keep going and going and going. It is one of those moments when I find myself mesmerized, dreading the transition to different sounds, different beats. But Deep Dish continues to impress all the way to the end. I hope you enjoy.

Popular Posts