A response from Iowa House Representative Dwayne Alons

To my surprise, Iowa House Representative Dwayne Alons responded to my email regarding his judicial budget amendment. He even did so within a few hours. Mad props to Alons for being prompt and responsive. However, his email was a little confusing.

[Quiet Man],

Since the amendment is contingency language, I am pleased to see that you think the people of Iowa will approve the Constitutional Marriage Amendment in the future.

Dwayne Alons

First off, he misspelled my real name. Secondly, I have no clue how my email gave him the impression that I thought Iowans would approve a constitutional marriage amendment. It is true the amendment is contingent upon voters approving a constitutional ban on same-sex marriage (which won’t be happening anytime soon given Iowa’s amendment process), but all I did, or thought I did, was voice my disappointment and alarm by such narrow-minded legislation. (As far as I know, the amendment has not even been approved.) Perhaps he was just toying with me. Regardless, I decided to clarify myself.

Representative Alons,

Thank you for your response. However, I am unsure how my message gave you the impression that I think Iowans will approve a constitutional marriage amendment. I think the passage of such an amendment, that would only recognize the marriage of a man and woman, would be a great shame to this state.

As a straight man, I hope our public representatives will work together to pass nondiscriminatory legislation that recognizes and preserves the rights and liberties of all Iowans.

Thank you for your time.

~[The Quiet Man]

Popular Posts