Beer of the Weekend #437: Roller Dam Red Ale

The beer of the weekend is Roller Dam Red Ale, brewed by the Great River Brewery of Davenport, Iowa.



Roller Dam Red (I keep writing “Damn”) is, I believe, the last canned Great River brew I have not tried. I have been eyeing it for a while and almost bought it last week. Thankfully, its ABV is lower than a couple other Great River brews — some of which destroyed me. The folks at Great River brew awesome stuff, but their beer gives me heinous hangovers.

Serving type: 16-ounce can. No freshness date.

Appearance: Poured into an imperial pint glass. The color is light red/copper; it looks like grenadine colored 7-Up. Two fingers of eggshell-colored head dissipated quickly to leave a spotted lacing and ring around the edge.

Smell: Sweet and malty. Caramel, toffee, floral hops, and perhaps strawberry jam or syrup.

Taste: Mirrors the aroma. Sweet caramel, toffee, floral hops, and strawberry syrup.

Drinkability: I do not have much experience with Irish red ales, so I cannot comment on how the beer fits the style. Overall, though, it is too sweet for my taste. It is far from my favorite Great River beer.

Fun facts about RDRA:

-Style: The brewery calls it “Irish Style Red Ale.”

-Price: $8.99/four-pack at John’s Grocery in Iowa City.

-Serving temperature: 40-45ºF.

-Alcohol content: 5.3 percent ABV.

-IBU: 30.6.

-Color: 8.5 SRM.


The Quiet Man’s grade: C+.

Popular Posts