Collective Soul, 'Why, Pt. 2'

I do not know how else to explain this: I both remembered and forgot about Collective Soul’s “Why, Pt. 2.” (Embedding of the video has been “disabled by request.”)

Here is what I remembered: it was released in either September or October 2000 and was given heavy airplay on KRNA. Little Hawk paste-up was underway and the song would blast from the Newslab stereo. When its first few notes rang through the speakers, people said, “I like this song. Turn it up!” I heard it in the lab during the school day and at night while perfecting proofs. Thank God it was so catchy, otherwise it would have driven me insane. At one point, while sitting at the computer next to me, our journalism adviser said, “I’m actually starting to like this song.”

Here is what I forgot: the song. The reaction and emotion stuck with me, but the band, title, and sound all faded from memory. I could hear people way back by the sports island, or our assistant feature’s editor, asking us to turn it up, or my adviser say the song was growing on him, but I could not hear the song. I totally lost it. I knew there was a song — an iconic tune that was the anthem for the September or October paste-up — but could not remember what it was.

For years it was a hole in my memories. Maybe once every year, when I would reminisce about my time on the LH, I wondered, “What the hell was that song?” I have no clue what prompted me to think about it tonight, but there it was again, vexing me: the mystery anthem. However, this time I felt determined to find out once and for all what it was.

Needless to say, searching for a song you remember nothing about is a little difficult. It was no doubt the biggest obstacle every other time I tried and failed to find it. (I could not have searched very hard, though.) However, blessed by a momentary flash of genius, I decided to check the Bradboard. I have no clue who Brad is or why he diligently releases his own weekly Top 40, but the Bradboard is something I stumbled on a long time ago and have kept bookmarked just in case. I checked the archive and started browsing the lists from September and October 2000. I searched for the title and artist of possible candidates and listened to a ton of pop-punk garbage. (Brad certainly has a strong stomach. If you want a bad flashback, watch the video for Zebrahead’s “Playmate of the Year.” Ouch.) Scrolling down the list for October 13, 2000, I saw “Why Part 2.” A light went off in my head. “That’s it,” I thought. “That is it.” I had no clue what it sounded like, but just seeing the title and artist stirred those memories without a soundtrack. I clicked the link to the video and watched and listened in awe.

I FOUND IT! Wooo hooooooo!

Having listened to the song (probably for the first time in about 10 years), I have to say I am a tiny bit disappointed. It is okay, but not epic; it does not completely live up to the hype from my memories. I thought it was heavier, but it is what it is. However, the song is a million times better than the video. My iMac dictionary’s definition for “unimaginative” has a direct link to it, and the lead singer looks so much like Owen Wilson I cannot stand to watch it.

Comments

Popular Posts