The Novel Diary: Week 15

Word counts: 286 (Chapter 4); 24,028.

Yesterday I went to the Dodgers-Cubs game at Wrigley and did not get back to IC until about 9:30 pm. Having been on the road for most of the day, I was in no mood to start Chapter 4, so I did that tonight.

(My visit to Wrigley, a first, has bolstered my resolve to be a Cubs fan. The Friendly Confines is truly fan friendly and confined in that classic ballpark way — a refreshing experience compared to the brutalist sprawl of Dodger Stadium and the corporate conducive semi-traditionalism of Coors Field, the only other MLB stadiums I have visited.)

I was uncertain whether or not to start Chapter 4 now or take another week off. I have a lot on my plate right now. Along with a LV project I want to start piecing together, I have a long essay awaiting revision (again), work, travel (for the LV project), and trying to keep abreast of current events and my reading. Yet I am plowing ahead and will not take another break until I finish Chapter 4.

I wrote for only an hour because I wanted to post thoughts on “The Guantánamo Files.” Usually I write without the radio or any music on, but tonight I listened to the Cubs game on KXIC, which was a little distracting. Like I said last week, it is hard keeping tabs on a game when you are trying to be literary. It’s also hard being literary while listening to a baseball game. However, it kind of works. There are times when I am engrossed in the writing and the radio becomes a distant white noise, and there are other times when I take my fingers off the keys, lean back, and listen to Keith Moreland blame the wet weather for sloppy fielding. (It didn’t affect the Rockies tonight.) Basically I was productive without being completely distracted, which I suppose I can live with.

Comments

Popular Posts