Beer of the Weekend #226: Daisy Cutter Pale Ale

Though the trunk full of Chicago-brewed beer I intended to bring back to IC failed to materialize, I snagged the aforementioned Stockyard Stout (sooooo good), Oranjeboom (decent), and the beer I am drinking for my health tonight: Daisy Cutter Pale Ale, brewed by the Half Acre Beer Company of Chicago, Illinois.


After getting lost on the north side, I met my friends at the Whole Foods in Lincoln Park. They showed me to the beer aisle, and not only was I somewhat disappointed by the selection, I had a killer headache; the thought of beer just about made me hurl. However, with the help of a glass of water I managed to man up and do some serious browsing.

Also available from Half Acre were Over Ale and Gossamer Golden Ale. I chose Daisy Cutter because I could not remember what style Over Ale was (it is a Brown Ale) and did not travel all the way to the Second City for light colored hoppiness. Protected inside a Whole Foods paper bag, I brought it back to the Hawkeye State where it has chilled in the basement fridge. Time to crack it open.

Serving type: Four 1-pint (16-ounce) cans. There is no freshness date.

Appearance: Poured into a pint glass. The color is a hazy gold leaning toward orange and amber. Two fingers of fluffy, eggshell-colored head developed and dissipated to leave a billowy lacing and ring around the edge.

Smell: The invigorating grapefruit citrus of cascade hops dominates the aroma, but is not overpowering. Other citrus elements such as orange and lemon are also in play, and there is also a fruity/mango element. Deep, deep down is the pale malt base.

Taste: Lots of cascade hop bitterness and citrus up front; it runs the gamut from grapefruit to orange rind to lemon. Afterward, the mango fruit emerges and the pale malt base provides a smooth, defusing balance. However, a little bitterness lasts after each sip, leaving the back of the tongue and uvula tingling.

Drinkability: Superb brew. I am now kicking myself for not hauling back more of it and other Half Acre brews. All that trunk space wasted.

Fun facts about DCPA:

-Style: American Pale Ale.

-Price: $9.99/four-pack at the Whole Foods Market on North Kingsbury Street in Chicago. Interestingly, the receipt lists a “beer tax” charge.

-Serving temperature: 40-45ºF.

-Alcohol content: 5.2 percent ABV.

-Food pairings: BA recommends Pan Asian cuisine, earthy cheeses (Camembert, Fontina), nutty cheeses (Asiago, Colby, Parmesan), tangy cheeses (Brick, Edam, Feta), salad, and poultry.

-The Half Acre website describes DCPA as a “west coast Pale Ale chock-full of dank, aromatic hops. This one's a screamer, horde it.”

-The four-pack is held together by an inventive cap, which covers the top of each can and has a convenient little handle.


I am not exactly sure about the canning movement sweeping across the microbrewing scene, but at least the presentation is cool. However, separating the cans from the cap is a major hassle (unless I am a complete idiot and am doing it the wrong way).

-Tonight I am introducing the newest member of my beerware family: a Great River Brewery pint glass. On the way back to IC I stopped at the brewery’s tasting lounge in Davenport and could not resist the urge to buy some swag. They make some damn good beer there, so I am glad to have them representin’ in my collection. But I seriously do not need any more beer glasses, especially pints. I stole enough of them in college. (“Five bucks for a Newcastle, eh? I’m pretty sure that includes the glass.”)


The Quiet Man’s grade: A.

Comments

Popular Posts