IHSAA Football Week 3

Week 3 of the 2010 Iowa high school football season was a little soggy for the local schools. A band of rain swept into the area around 6 and a light, steady shower continued as many of the games kicked off. A few match-ups, including the epic Battle for the Boot between City and West, were delayed.

However, the South Tama-Clear Creek Amana game I attended tonight with my old man kicked off on time.

Dad works with a lot folks who live in the CCA district, including the varsity football head coach, so despite the rain we made the short trek to Tiffin. Dad sported a fashionable, translucent poncho and I wore the waterproof shell to my North Face Triclimate jacket.

CCA opened a brand new football field and track last year, as well as a new school. Their old high school became the district’s junior high, and their old football field has been completely overshadowed by the state of the art facility just next door. I’m talking about FieldTurf, a flashy scoreboard, and a nice set of metal bleachers. Smelled like bond money to me. Regardless, it was a nice place for the Clipper football, soccer, and track teams. (The field featured both football and soccer marks. The soccer marks were bright yellow. Very cool.)

I keep forgetting to take my camera to snap a few quick pics for these posts. I want to visually document the local Friday Night Lights, but I have failed to do so thus far. Tonight was a perfect night to do it — the lights, the rain, the FieldTurf — but alas. Next week I will likely head back to Bates Field for the Xavier-City game, so I will take my camera.

The Clippers are traditionally a perennial doormat, but it seems things are changing over in Tiffin. In Week 2 they beat a ranked Mt. Pleasant team, but lost last week. This week they were able to overcome an early South Tama touchdown (the extra point failed) to score 28 unanswered points going into the third quarter. Dad and I left just when South Tama scored their second TD. The final was 41-26 in favor of CCA.

Here’s an oddity about tonight’s game. A friend of my dad’s came over and stood with us at the top of the bleachers. (The seats were wet so I stood.) After he and my old man chatted for a while, dad nudged me.

“You see that guy on the sidelines with the blue shirt and black hat? That’s Ashton Kutcher.”

Yes, Ashton Kutcher was walking the sidelines and cheering on the Clippers. Kutcher hails from Homestead, a little town in the Amana cluster, and is a CCA grad. I have no clue why he was at tonight’s game, but I suspect he’s in town for tomorrow’s epic Iowa State-Iowa game. And, of course, his black hat was sportin’ the Tiger Hawk. I watched him roam around. He only spoke to a few people who hung around him. At halftime he was busy working his cell phone, and when a few CCA student photogs approached he appeared to rebuff them. But I’m not sure what happened there.

Comments

Popular Posts