Duquense 52, Iowa 50


I watched the Hawks tonight on ESPNU. The game on Sunday was also on The U, but, shamefully, I forgot. I was making my own, rusty attempt to put the ball through the hoop at the UCI rec center. (Wow. That deserves a post all to itself.)

The Hawks played tough. They shot like shit, but they played tough, crawling back into the game and almost sneaking a win. If not for a generous roll, the Hawks would have gotten their first win. Instead, they’re 0-2 for the first time since 1970-71 (according to the DMR).

Yes, they’re young (very young). Yes, they’re inexperienced. Yes, they’ll be a welcome mat this year. With the Big Ten the strongest it’s been in a long time, I’d be surprised if the Hawks win four games in conference. But I think the foundation has been poured. If they play strong and with heart, I think they can get a lot out of this season.

Comments

Popular Posts