Dubya in da IC

The water has been receding in Iowa City for about a week and today I took a look at the Press-Citizen website for the first time since mandatory evacuations were ordered around June 12th. I saw mostly good news, which is what I've been hearing from my parents. I checked out a few of the clean-up photo galleries as well as the presidential visit pics.

Yes, apparently Bushy had an opening in his schedule — probably between his afternoon nap and games of world Monopoly (he's the battleship, of course) — to visit the heartland and survey the flooding. Here's ol' Bushy with Iowa senator Tom Harkin and Iowa City mayor Regeina Bailey at Normandy Drive.


Here are a few thoughts that come to mind:

1) My dad and the city crew nicknamed the area around Normandy "Mosquito Flats" because it's so close to the river (a good reason to have never built it in the first place). It's a perfect breeding ground for mosquitoes.

2) Cracka, cracka, cracka. This is the first time I've seen a picture of Iowa City's new mayor. When I left, Ross Wilburn, a black man, was mayor. I'm not sure how the change transpired (a member of the city council is appointed "mayor" so the title really has no meaning) but it is interesting to me. Moving to a more cultured and ethnically diverse place made me realize Iowa City isn't as immune to racism and discrimination as its citizens like to think. South side!

3) I seriously don't know what they're waiting for him to say. The motherfucka is the ultimate broken record.


This is a pic of Marine 1 flying over the strip in Coralville. The Iowa River is normally flowing within it's banks located just at the top right behind the hotel and grove of trees. Here it's spilled over to inundate First Avenue and Highway 6, the businesses along the road, and the UI's softball fields.

Thoughts:

1) Shit. That's a lot of water.

2) Nooooo! Not Shakey's!

3) I'm having way too much fun at the expense of my hometown. It's cool to make fun of Coralville, though. It might as well be under water (as it was in the Devonian era).

4) "Can this thing do a flip?"

5) "Wait a minute. Is this a rerun? I saw this a few years ago. Borrrring."

6) My dad told me he saw the president's motorcade on Riverside Drive. He fingered the limo as it passed. That's my old man.

Comments

Popular Posts