Beer of the Weekend #1,168: Lemon-made Shandy

The beer two weekends ago, after a brutally hot week, was something refreshing to drink while enjoying the first weekend of college football: Lemon-made Shandy, brewed by the Backpocket Brewery of Waterloo, Iowa.

Lemon-made Shandy

Serving type: 12-ounce can. “CANNED ON 03/16/26” was printed on the bottom of the can. I did not realize how old it was.

Appearance: Poured into a tulip. The color was a light and hazy apple juice color. A buttery, dense, off-white head leaves foam stuck to the glass.

Smell: Lemony, enticing, and refreshing. It was a complementary combination of lemonade and wheat beer. Lemon, wheat bread, and yeast.

Taste: Light and tasty. Wheat bread and lemonade. Pretty simple and refreshing. It is sweet and reminds me of malzbier.

Fun facts about Lemon-made Shandy:

• Style: Shandy. BA groups in a category called fruit/field beer.

• Price: I forgot to grab the receipt, but it was probably around $9–$10 for a sixer of 12-ounce cans at Gary’s in Mount Vernon, Iowa.

• Alcohol content: 4.2 percent ABV.

• IBU: 10.

• Lemon-made Shandy is now our go-to shandy. We boycotted Leinenkugel’s Summer Shandy for political reasons. I could not remember exactly why, so I reconnected the dots: Leinenkugel’s is a subsidiary of Molson Coors, which was formed when Molson and Coors merged; Adolph Coors, the founder of the Coors Brewing Company, founded the Heritage Foundation; the Adolph Coors Foundation continues to financially support the Heritage Foundation. Though I may not be able to verify that money I would spend to buy Summer Shandy would make its way to the Heritage Foundation via the store, distributor, Molson Coors, and the Coors Foundation (maybe intrepid journalists have tracked the flow), but the funding comes from somewhere. It is not a good look to me and I think it is best to play it safe. The Foxy Lady also reminded me that Coors has a history of environmental issues (https://extras.denverpost.com/business/biz0304.htm).

• The Northwestern game on BTN is in the background of the pic. It’s sad to say, but I can’t remember who the Wildcats were playing.


The Quiet Man’s grade: B-.

Comments

Popular Posts