Beer of the Weekend #1,022: Rock 108 Maibock

Rock 108 is probably my all-time favorite radio station (despite the fact I once wrote that I don’t have many favorites). I have been listening to it since high school. So when I found a sixer of Rock 108 Maibock, brewed by the Millstream Brewing Company of Amana, Iowa, at the grocery store, I could not pass it up—even though it is not maibock season.

Rock 108 Maibock

Serving type: 12-ounce can. There is no freshness date.

Appearance: Poured into my Schlitz goblet. The color is medium to light copper. A finger of off-white, buttery, bubbly head dissipates slowly.

Smell: Very malty and bock-like. Caramel and dark fruit licorice dominate. There is also an enticing chocolate brownie character. A nice earthy zing tickles the nose hairs.

Taste: Malty deliciousness. Gooey caramel, chocolate, dark fruit (mostly cherry licorice). It has an earthy bite and a touch of alcohol, though it is not the most alcoholic beer, or maibock, out there.

Fun facts about Rock 108 Maibock:

• Style: Maibock.

• Price: I forgot to grab the receipt, but I think it was around $9.50 at Gary’s in Mount Vernon. (This is the first time I have bought a BotW beer in forever. My seasonal 12-packs from The Local have lasted me a while.)

• Alcohol content: 6.5 percent ABV.

• Millstream also brews Rock 108 Light Rock, which I will have to find.

• BeerAdvocate recommends drinking maibock with a goblet, which is something I did not know. Previously, I think I drank bocks in a pilsner glass.

• Here is the brewery’s description: “You're gonna get wild, wild, WILD with this malty brew! Biscuity notes go round and round into a clean, crisp finish! You're going to want to stay for the encore.”

• One thing I have always wanted is a Rock 108 bumper sticker. I emailed the station about getting some back in 2005 and was told to send them an SASE, but I never did. I saw that they were available on their website a few months ago but did not buy any. I need to do it the next time I have the opportunity.


The Quiet Man’s grade: A-.

Comments

Popular Posts