Good Tunes: Jim James, 'No Secrets'



Traveling along Interstate 80 at sunset is one of my favorite summer pastimes, and I got the chance to do it tonight. Though I was driving east, back to Iowa City, I snapped a few pics of the setting sun in my side mirror, Duran Duran’s “Save a Prayer” playing in my head.

As I neared Iowa City a half hour or so later, I tuned my radio to KUNI and the sounds of Iowa Public Radio’s Studio One. I don’t listen to the Studio One programming very often, but I was in the mood for something a little different, and it provided a very pleasing soundtrack for the last 20 or 30 miles of my trip.

The first song I heard was “No Secrets” by Jim James, which was a perfect fit for the scene: speeding into the night, dark hues of red and orange the only remnants of the day hanging above the western horizon behind me, a ribbon of head- and taillights rolling gracefully with the landscape.

Popular Posts