Beer of the Weekend #893: Tricycle

The beer of the weekend is another cycling-inspired brew from the Singlespeed Brewing Company of Waterloo, Iowa: Tricycle.



The color is a lightly hazy gold. One finger of off-white, buttery, bubble-spotted head dissipates slowly and leaves a thick ring of foam stuck to the glass.

The first whiff offers light malt and earthy spice. It has that corn adjunct element consistent with the style too. There is light malt, wheat, corn, and earthy hop spice. It portends quite a bite. There is a light zest and a hint of fruit sweetness.

The first sip is not as bitter or biting as I expected from the aroma, but an earthy spice does settle on the taste buds. It is very drinkable and tasty, very crushable. Along with the earthy spice and bitterness, there are flavors of light malt, wheat, and corn. It also features hits of fruit or honey sweetness and citrus zest. True to form, the mouthfeel is creamy and smooth.

Fun facts about Tricycle:

• Style: Cream ale.

• Price: $9.99 for a six-pack of 12-ounce cans at the New Pioneer Food Co-op in Iowa City.

• Alcohol content: 5.2 percent ABV.

• IBU: 32

• Here’s the description about the beer on the brewery website:

Resting upon a set of three wheels, each with a different stylistic dream, sits this hybrid of an ale. Wheel #1 romanticizes about the creation of a Cream Ale. Wheel #2 is captivated by thoughts of an honest Pale Ale, while Wheel #3 longs for a foundation rooted in Wheat.

A few revolutions later, they peacefully meet at the center of the room, and Tricycle is formed. Working together, balanced by just enough hop character to remain upright, they roll Tricycle to a slightly sweet and citrusy state. Ride On!

• I’m two weeks into a new drinking routine. I only drink Friday and Saturday nights again, I drink two or three beers total on each day, I drink one ounce of water for every ounce of beer, and I stop drinking one hour or more before going to bed. I’ve probably halved my beer and alcohol consumption and things are going well. I’m sleeping better and feel better rested; I’m capitalizing on the mornings I can sleep late.


The Quiet Man’s grade: A-.

Popular Posts