Midnight Magic, 'Beam Me Up'



Every once in a while a song in a television commercial will pique my curiosity and I’ll feel the need to track it down. Such is the case for the song used in a Degree MOTIONSENSE commercial.

You know you the commercial. It follows a young, hip urbanite throughout his day, his choice of Degree MOTIONSENSE a driving force behind his success and happiness at every moment. Yeah, that one.

Back in college, Bobblehead and I attended a reading by George Saunders where he read a short story about characters in TV commercials (I think it is called “In Persuasion Nation”). Though I do not remember his exact words, Saunders explained that the story was based on his realization that television commercials no longer just advertise products, they also try to impress on us those products’ vital importance to our success and happiness. That has always stuck with me; it is always in the back of my mind when I watch TV commercials. Needless to say, the Degree MOTIONSENSE commercial is a good example of what he was talking about.

Anyway, I finally got around to looking up the song: “Beam Me Up” by Midnight Magic.

Popular Posts