Beer of the Weekend #699: Colette

Guess what I don’t have to do tomorrow? Get up early and go to the Iowa game. Bwahahahahaha!

I helped Bobblehead do a little moving last week and he bought me a porter as payment. I intended to make it the beer of the weekend but it was something like 95º today — not porter weather. It will be the beer of the weekend eventually, when it’s cooler.

The beer of the weekend is Colette, brewed by the Great Divide Brewing Company of Denver, Colorado.


Colette pours a cloudy gold color into a pint glass. About a finger of fluffy, white head leaves a skim and ring around the edge. The aroma is a touch weak but farmhouse yeast funk and a little armpit are prominent. It is wheaty with a little spice. The mouthfeel is smooth and thick, much like a hefe. The flavor mostly mirrors the aroma. Unlike with some saisons, the funk and spice are tame and tasty. Wheat is prominent, too, and there is a touch of spice.

Fun facts about Colette:

• Style: Saison.

• Price: $10.49 per sixer at the New Pioneer Food Co-op in Iowa City.

• Alcohol content: 7.3 percent ABV. What?! I didn’t realize that until just now. I purposely overlooked a couple double IPAs because I am not a fan of the higher ABV, and here I am drinking a massive saison! Damn me from eight hours ago!

• Food pairings: Listed on the beer’s webpage are “Charcuterie plate, foie gras, Indian curry, Camembert cheese.”


The Quiet Man’s grade: A-.

Popular Posts