Beer of the Weekend #346: Leikeim Helle Weisse

Tomorrow, Bobblehead and I are heading to Tennessee to partake in the 150th anniversary of the Battle of Shiloh. The plan is to hit the road at 6 am and I should really go to bed. However, I want to try the second beer I bought yesterday at Hartig.

The beer tonight is Leikeim Helle Weisse, brewed by the Brauerei Leikeim of Altenkunstadt, Germany.


Serving type: 500 ml bottle with a swinging cap. The best before date printed on the back label is “101112.”

Appearance: Poured into a half-liter weizen glass. The color is cloudy, dishwater lemonade. Three fingers of thick, white head dissipated slowly. I worked up a couple large pieces of yeast, which does not look very attractive.

Smell: Mmmm — hefe. It is a little weak and lacks a lot of clove spice, but it still has apple, orange, banana, and bready yeast. There is clove spice but it is not as aggressive as I would prefer. To match the dishwater color, it actually does smell a little like dishwater.

Taste: Again, not as spicy as I would like. The mouthfeel is pretty bready but the flavor does not back it with much potency; it is weak like the aroma. Banana, apple, orange, strawberry, yeast, and a hint of close spice.

Drinkability: It’s okay. At least it is not witbier.

Fun facts about LHW:

-Style: Hefeweizen.

-Price: $3.79/bottle at the Hartig Drug on Mormon Trek Boulevard in Iowa City.

-Serving temperature: 45-50ºF. Having not had a hefe in a while, that seems a little too warm for me.

-Alcohol content: 5.4 percent ABV.

-Food pairings: BA recommends German cuisine, tangy cheeses, salad, poultry, fish, and shellfish.

-I plan to take my laptop on the trip and will try blogging each night. Along with our visit to the battlefield, it should be an interesting trip in regards to alcohol availability. Apparently, Tennessee is dry by default. However, counties and municipalities have the right to allow the sale of alcohol. On Saturday night we are staying in Corinth, Mississippi, which is in a dry county. In Mississippi, the alcohol laws differ by county so I am taking with me a 12-pack of 16-ounce PBR cans. Foresight, baby. Foresight.


The Quiet Man’s grade: C+.

Comments

Popular Posts