Last time unto the breech...


Today I went to LA one last time.

I didn’t know if I would visit the ol’ City of Angels again before leaving. Though I wanted to browse the selection at Skylight and eat one of those incredible jackfruit burritos at Pure Luck, I didn’t want to deal with the hassle of LA.

Although it’s interesting, crazy, sickening, awe-inspiring, cool, and eclectic, LA is an aggravating place for me to visit. As I’ve mentioned, the combined affect of the traffic, parking, aesthetics, crowding, and sensory overload wrecks me. Plus, since I keep myself well-hydrated, I’m always afraid of being stuck in a traffic jam when I have to piss like mad. It’s a holy hassle, and I would rather relax at home (with easy access to a toilet) than deal with LA.

However, today I left HB around 10:30, early enough that traffic going into The Big Orange was flowing smoothly (though there were a few slow spots), and took the back way to Skylight by taking the 5 to Los Feliz instead of my usual route on the 101 through downtown LA. It was slick and painless. I drove down Hillhurst, too, avoiding the depressing streets scenes along Vermont. (Much of LA, I forgot to mention, is really depressing and cheerless.)

It was a short, three- or four-hour visit (including driving time), which was perfect. I did everything I wanted to. Though I don’t need to lengthen my already backed up reading queue, I bought two books at Skylight…


...and ate a famous Carnitas Burrito with a side of Sweet Potato Fries at Pure Luck on Heliotrope Drive. (I’ll have more on Heliotrope later.)


Fucking incredible.

Goodbye, LA. It’s hard to say right now whether or not I will miss you. I mean, I only paid you a visit every few months because doing so was so fucking annoying and irritating, but you had your good points. Unfortunately, I was unwilling to deal with all your bad points more often.

Comments

Popular Posts