Beer of the Weekend #134: Acme California Pale Ale

The final BotW posts from California have begun. I only have the rest of the month and a potential July 2nd tasting left in the Golden State. I’m going to make them count, and may even do a few mid-week samplings to pack in a couple more indigenous west coast brews.

The beer this weekend is Acme California Pale Ale, brewed by the North Coast Brewing Company of Fort Bragg, California.


North Coast is a quality brewer, and I’ve had the pleasure of sampling a few of their brews. North Coast’s Red Seal Ale, you may remember, was BotW #1 way back in April ’08. Their brews are available outside the Golden State, so I won’t be unable to find it if I have a craving for Old No. 38 Stout (which I gave a B+). I noticed a few at Dirty John’s when I was in Iowa City, including their famous imperial stout, Old Rasputin. I plan to review Brother Thelonious, North Coast’s “artisan” abbey ale, in the next month.

But, as Vin Scully would say, let’s go back to this one.

I’m a little wary of pale ale because I never know what to expect. The style varies in hop intensity from brewer to brewer, country to country. Many American versions are hoppy, while the British versions are maltier. I’m not a hophead, so I much prefer the versions inspired by those across the pond, like Iowa Pale Ale. ACPA promises to be more British, which gave me courage to pick it up this weekend.

Serving type: Six 12-ounce bottles. No freshness date. Why? All beers, I think, should have freshness dates. Just about every other edible and drinkable product does.

Appearance: Straight pour into a pint glass. The color is a hazy deep orange on its way to amber. Two fingers of off-white head developed and dissipated to leave a nice spotted lacing and ring around the outside.

Smell: My first whiff was “Fuck yeah.” Very British. However, upon further inspection it was more west coast: invigorating citrus hops with an undertone of creamy caramel malts and hints of honey.

Taste: Somewhat subdued, but tasty. Well-balanced caramel malts and honey with slightly more prominent citrus hoppiness.

Drinkability: It’s a good brew. It has that hop bite, but is not too hoppy. The malt backbone makes it worthwhile for me.

Fun facts about ACPA:

-Style: American Pale Ale.

-Price: $8.79/sixer at the Beach BevMo!.

-Serving temperature: 40-45ºF.

-Alcohol content: 5 percent ABV.

-Food pairings: BA suggests Asian cuisine, earth cheeses (Camembert, Fontina), nutty cheeses (Asiago, Colby, Parmesan), tangy cheeses (Brick the holy of holies, Edam, Feta), salad, and meat (poultry).

-Color: No SRM is listed, but the ACPA’s North Coast page classifies the color as “Light Amber.” According to
Tasting Beer’s cool color chart, the SRM would probably be 7 or 8.

-IBU: 21.

-Somewhat fittingly, ACPA was awarded silver medals (second place) seven years running (2000-’06) at the World Beer Championships held in the second city of Chicago. I have no clue what category the awards were in. Maybe pale ale? Just a guess.

-No, the “Acme” in the name is not inspired by Warner Bros. cartoons, but by the old Acme Breweries in San Francisco and Los Angeles. They ceased brewing Acme beer in 1954. I’m dead sure Wile E. Coyote was a big fan.


The Quiet Man’s grade: B.

Comments

Popular Posts