Beer of the Weekend #75: DAB Original

I’ve fallen in love with the MLB Network. It feels so good, so right. Lately all I watch on TV — when I watch TV, mind you — are Dodgers games and whatever’s on MLB. Their game recaps are more in depth and complete than what ESPN offers with “Baseball Tonight” and “SportsCenter.” It’s wall-to-wall baseball — obviously; the channel’s motto is, “Our national pastime all the time.”

Summer and baseball go hand-in-hand for me. As a kid, I watched game highlights every morning during summer break. Baseball has never been my sport of choice, but I’ve always loved watching it and following the teams, the Red Sox especially. MLB keeps me abreast of everything, showing every angle and every pivotal play. It’s a dream come true.

Je t’aime, MLB. Tu es mon lapin.

ANYWAY… It was in the mid-eighties today in Huntington Beach. Sunny, warm, dry. For my run I did whatever I could to stay hydrated and cool. I wore a white shirt, ran in the shade when I could (which is damn hard on my route; you don’t realize how worthless palm trees are until you’re three miles into a run and dying to get out of the sun), and drank Gatorade when I was finished. As I sat in my car, cooling down with 24-ounces of fruit punch, I thought of the three Trader Joe’s Barvarian Hefeweizen’s sitting in my fridge, which would quench my thirst even more later.

However, before drinking more hefe I’m tipping back my base lager: DAB Original, brewed by the Dortmunder Actien Brauerei of Dortmund, Germany.


Last week I drank my last PBR bottle and was too lazy to special order more during the week. I had DAB once during college, so I thought it was time to try it again.

Serving type: Twelve 11.2-ounce bottles. I almost didn’t buy it because of the 11.2ers. Ugh. But I decided to deal with it.

Appearance: Poured a clean, clear golden blond with zero carbonation. A light white head developed and dissipated to a leave a thin ring around the outside.

Smell: Prominent barnyard malts with a hint of lager skunk.

Taste: The malts come through, but hops dominate. DAB offers good bite without being overly bitter.

Drinkability: It’s not complex, but it’s a good drinking beer. I’d say it’s a decent lager.

Fun facts about DAB:

-Serving temperature: 42º-46ºF.

-Alcohol content: 5 percent ABV.

-Food pairings:
Beers of the World recommends cold meat and cheese platters.

-On the side of the case is written:

DAB Original is the finest example of the special bottle fermented blond lager that became famous as “The Dortmunder.” DAB is brewed according to the German Purity Law of 1516 sin only the infest barley, hops, yeast and water. These natural ingredients create a crisp, refreshing and full bodied taste. Enjoy the beer of world fame.

-DAB Original is considered a Dortmunder because, well, it’s brewed in Dortmund. Dortmunder made Dortmund one of the early beer capitals of Germany, mostly from the patronage of local coal and steel workers.

-Dortmunder is also known as “export” because it became popular as far away as Japan.

The Quiet Man’s grade: C.

Comments

Popular Posts