Beer of the Weekend #78: Pinkus Organic Hefe-Weizen

Direct from my parents’ three-season deck, it’s a midweek edition of BotW.

The beer tonight is Pinkus Organic Hefe-Weizen brewed by the Brauerei Pinkus Mueller of Münster, Germany


Basically, all I’ve done in Iowa City is buy a lot of books, buy four pieces of new beer ware, and drink a lot of beer. Good beer, too — mostly PBR and hefeweizen. Is this heaven? Yes, it is.

One of the new pieces of beer ware I picked up at The Glass House (located in the house next to Dirty John’s on Gilbert Street) is a Pinkus weizen glass. The other weizen glass (not hefeweizen glass, as I misnamed it in my last BotW) I bought features the Weihenstephaner logo, as seen in BotW #77. I wanted to buy another, but not one from another prominent German brewer; anybody can have a Ayinger or Franziskaner glass. But Pinkus? I’d never heard of it, so it had to be rare. Also rare is the actual Pinkus brew, which I knew I probably wouldn’t be able to get through BevMo! I bought a couple bottles for tonight to match the glass. Thank you, Dirty’s.

Serving type: Two 16.9-ounce bottles.

Appearance: Poured a cloudy wheat. It developed two fingers of thick white head with surprisingly little retention. It was only a minute or two before it dissipated to a skim of foam.

Smell: I got a whiff of banana right after I popped the cap, but once in the bottle it gave off a nice, sweet apple cider aroma. The banana disappeared, but was replaced with fruity bubblegum and a minor tickling of lemon. Another reviewer mentioned champagne, and I could smell it, too.

Taste: Very bread-like at first, which greatly subdues the flavors I was expecting from the aroma. However, hints of apple, banana, and bubblegum emerge as it warms. It also provides a nose full of yeasty, wheaty goodness.

Drinkability: I wish it would be a little more potent, but I think it’s true to style and good drinking. Wheat beer, but without the nasty agri-chemicals. It’s a winner in my book.

Fun facts about Pinkus Organic Hefe-Weizen:

-Serving temperature: 45-50°F.

-Alcohol content: 5.1 percent ABV.

-Food pairings: German cuisine, tangy cheese (like you know what), and most meats.

-As the name suggests, and as I hinted at in the Drinkability category, Pinkus Orangic Hefe-Weizen is USDA Certified Organic.

-Most of the German wheat beers I’ve sampled come from Bavaria, in the south-east corner of Gemany. But, from what I can tell by the map on the brewery website, Münster is located in the west between Bremen and Dortmund.

-The portraits on either side of the label are of Carl Müller (on the left) and Johannes Müller (on the right). Apparently, Johannes began the brewery with his wife, Friederika Cramer, in 1816. The Carl guy — I have no clue who he is. That beanie makes him look like a frat boy from the 1920s.


The Quiet Man’s grade: A-.

Comments

Popular Posts