Iowa 66, Oakland 57


Here's an interesting little tid-bit about this game: Because Carver hosted a volleyball and women's basketball game on Saturday, both teams had to practice in different facilities. While the Hawks scrimmaged at the North Dodge Athletic Club, Oakland was relegated to the North Gym at the UI Field House. Oakland coach Greg Kampe said, "We came in here last night and we practiced in the most God-awful place I've ever been in."

Ah, the North Gym. It's where my friends and I played basketball only when the other courts at the Field House were full. It's a relic of the facility's former glory, complete with (what I believe is) the actual court the Hawks played on before Carver was built in 1983. I think it's where Don Nelson had his classic jump shot photo taken when he was playing for Iowa.

Coach Kampe, I feel for you.

Comments

Popular Posts