Beer of the Weekend #31: Old No. 38 Stout

Well, my chocolate milk didn’t spoil. Mmmm — chocolate milk.

The beer this weekend is Old No. 38 Stout brewed by North Coast Brewing Company of Fort Bragg, California.


North Coast, if you remember, brews Red Seal Ale, BoTW #1.

Serving type: Six 12-ounce bottles.

Appearance: Opaque black, but a little light came through when I put it to my lamp. A dense, foamy, latte-like head formed and dissipated very slowly.

Smell: Very strong, eye opening, and pleasing chocolate and roasted coffee scent.

Taste: The coffee is strong, like an espresso shot. I didn’t get any chocolate out of my first sip, but it slowly appeared as my taste buds adjusted to the espresso kick. Very dry mouthfeel, which lives up to the Irish dry stout style.

Drinkability: Very drinkable, but I recommend it only as an after dinner brew. Drink a few lagers to prime your taste buds, which I recommend for most stouts.

Fun facts about Old No. 38 Stout:

-Serving temperature: 45-50°F.

-Alcohol content: 5.5 percent ABV.

-Old No. 38 Stout is named after a retired California Western Railroad steam engine that traveled between Fort Bragg and Willits through a redwood forest. Obviously, it’s the only beer I know of to be named after a train.

-Food pairings, from BeerAdvocate, include barbecue, Latin cuisine, and smoked or grilled meat.


The Quiet Man’s grade: Very good stout. B+.

Go Hawks!

Comments

Popular Posts