Beer of the Weekend #32: Old Scratch Amber Lager

Yippee! I think I have a new pad set up! Tonight I looked at a room in a two-bedroom apartment six or seven blocks from the beach, two blocks from Main Street. The guy offered it to me on the spot. I had no clue what to say; most of the time people say they’ll call and let me know in a few days (but never call) so I was caught off guard. I accepted, so it looks like I’ll have new digs on December 1st. Yeee-ya!

Here’s a random observation: Allen Iverson looks good in a Pistons uni.

The beer this weekend is Old Scratch Amber Lager brewed by Flying Dog Brewery of Denver, Colorado.


To tell you the truth, for the past two weeks I’ve been eyeing a beer brewed with hemp: Nectar Ales Hemp Ale. But, for the second straight week I’ve chickened out. I just don’t know enough about it and want to do a little more research before taking it off the shelf at BevMo! I’m worried it’s completely different than anything I’ve ever tried (because it is) and that I may not like it. Though it’s rare for me to try a truly awful beer, I don’t need to tell you how disappointing it is to spend money on shitty brew. Making it even worse is the fact I’m not one to dump beer, no matter how offensive it is. I force myself to drink it. My initial research indicates hemp brewed, herbal beers are sour, watered down versions of stout.

On to OSAL.

Serving type: Six 12-ounce bottles.

Appearance: A nice, effervescent bronze that developed a slight head that dissipated quickly (mostly due to a poor pour).

Smell: For some reason my nose initially caught a whiff of coffee. It’s odd for a lager, but I think I was able to decode the complexity: Instead of coffee I think it’s roasted malts. I also got a little German grassiness and citrus.

Taste: Smooth, clean maltiness that isn’t too bitter like amber ale (I’ll get to OSAL’s connection with ale in a moment). I also got a little caramel, but it’s an afterthought compared to the malts. Very little hop tingle on the back of the tongue.

Drinkability: Very drinkable. Lagers are the best everyday brews.

Fun facts about Old Scratch Amber Lager:

-Serving temperature: 40-45°F.

-Alcohol content: 5.5 percent ABV.

-Everyone loves the crazy, Gonzo-inspired drawings on Flying Dog labels and carrying cases. They’re not my thing, but I still think they’re unique and cool. The drawings are, in fact, done by Ralph Steadman, the artist behind the drawings in
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, the creator of Gonzo art. Hunter S. Thompson introduced Steadman to Flying Dog co-founder George Stranahan, a photographer and art admirer himself. Steadman has been drawing for Flying Dog since 1995. The whole interesting history of the Thompson-Steadman-Stranahan connection is available on the brewery website. It’s very colorful (as are the characters) so check it out.

-Speaking of the labeling, there are a few cool quirks on the carrying case.



First, there are color and maltiness/hoppiness scales. Second, the usual responsibility and recycling pitches are spiced up: “Hey, you! Please recycle carrier and bottles!”; “Since they don’t serve Flying Dog in prison, please drink responsibly.” And at the bottom is a quote from Gonzo himself: “Good people drink good beer.” They offer a poster with the quote on their website, and I’m seriously thinking of buying it. Flying Dog also gets bonus points for using the word “über” in the text on the bottom.

-OSAL is, in a sense, a hybrid style. It’s fermented at medium temperatures to develop both lager and ale characteristics.

-Food pairings include “Latin American” cuisine (which I assume includes Mexican), barbeque, “hearty bread,” and “hearty-spicy foods” (which I assume includes Mexican…echo echo echo). I suppose it’s not veggie friendly, but what beer is?


The Quite Man’s grade: B.

Comments

Popular Posts