Beer of the Weekend #1,082: John’s Grocery Next Generation White Ale

Much like there is Star Trek and Star Trek: The Next Generation, there is John’s Generations White Ale and the beer of the weekend a few weeks ago: John’s Grocery Next Generation White Ale, brewed by the Lion Bridge Brewing Company of Cedar Rapids, Iowa.

John’s Grocery Next Generation White Ale

Serving type: 12-ounce can. “5/24/2024” is printed on the bottom. I assume it is the canning date.

Appearance: Poured into a tulip. The color is clear, light gold with a chill haze. Two fingers of off-white, buttery, bubble-spotted head leaves a collar and skim.

Smell: Nice and wheaty and spicy. Cloves, coriander, wheat, yeast, apple, bubblegum, and orange peel.

Taste: Refreshing and tasty. Light wheat, coriander, orange peel, apple, and a touch of bubblegum. The spice lingers after each sip.

Fun facts about The Next Generation:

• Style: Witbier.

• Price: $12.99 for a six-pack of 12-ounce cans at John’s Grocery in Iowa City.

• Alcohol content: 5% ABV.

• Here is the description via Untappd: “Made in Collaboration with John's Grocery, the iconic 4th generation family-run grocer and purveyor of fine beverages. Brewed with orange peel and coriander, and fermented with Belgian Yeast. This beer never goes out-of-style, just like John’s.”

• I had totally forgotten about John’s Generations White Ale and did not make the connection between the two beers until I stumbled across its memory. It was brewed by Millstream and was around for a while, but at some point I no longer saw it on beer shelves. I assume the beers are very similar, perhaps the same recipe if John’s owns it.

• John’s takes a lot of pride in its history and being kept in the family, which is understandable. They deserve to in a world where brand names are passed across corporate negoiating tables. However, I feel like it’s overdone. I think they could dial it a back a little bit; they don’t have to rub it in everyone’s face all the time. It’s likely from my own personal overexposure to it, though.

• Among the TV commercials for our local businesses, I think John’s was the first to feature the owner’s kids (the next generation). Once John’s did it, I feel like EVERYBODY started doing it.

• Though I am not a Trekkie, I have a special place in my heart for Star Trek: The Next Generation. When I was a kid, it followed the 10 p.m. local news on KCRG each weeknight. My dad would go to bed watching the news, and I could hear and see the glow of my parents’ little TV from my room. If my dad was awake, he would turn off the TV after the news. However, if he fell asleep, I would hear the TNG intro music and see the bright bursts of light when the USS Enterprise jumps to warp speed light up my parents’ room.

The Quiet Man’s grade: A-.

Comments

Popular Posts