Beer of the Weekend #991: Check Swing

My mom visited my uncle in Texas last month and brought me some Texas-brewed beers. I tried the first last Wednesday in honor of the World Series: Check Swing, brewed by Texas Leaguer Brewing of Missouri City, Texas.

Check Swing

Serving type: 12-ounce can. “CANNED06/13/22” is printed on the bottom.

Appearance: Poured into a pilsner glass. The color is hazy straw that leans light. A finger of off-white, buttery, bubble-spotted head leaves a bubbly skim and collar.

Smell: Though I thought I got a whiff of lemon when I cracked open the can, the aroma is very light. In fact, there is almost nothing. There is a hint of cigarette butts, which is not attractive, and a hint of light malt.

Taste: It is hoppy with grass and earthy spice. There is a touch of lemon. It is crisp and dry. It is not as flavorful as some Czech pilsners, but it is still drinkable. It is more of a foul ball than a check swing. The flavor lacks the hint of cigarette butts from the aroma.

Fun facts about Check Swing:

• Style: Czech pilsner.

• Price: $8.99 for a six-pack of 12-ounce cans at the Total Wine & More on East Stacy Road in Allen, Texas. (My mom saved the receipt because she knew I would want it.)

• Alcohol content: 5.4 percent ABV.

• IBU: 33.

• Here is the description on the Texas Leaguer website: “Here’s a judgement call that everyone will agree on. The light, crisp flavor is as sharp as the batter at the plate. Perceptive beer-drinkers and batters alike always consider taking a Czech Swing!”

• Notice that the beer is called Czech Swing on the website but Check Swing on the can label. Copyediting, people. Copyediting.

• What is a checked swing? According to BaseballBible.net, “A checked swing is when a batter tries to hold the bat back after starting the swing” (https://www.baseballbible.net/what-is-a-checked-swing/). The page also says, “If the bat breaks the plane of the bottom of home plate, it’s counted as a strike,” which is what I always thought and is the common understanding. However, according to Wikipedia, “[t]he Major League Baseball rulebook does not contain an official definition for a checked swing, but defines a swing as ‘an attempt to strike at the ball’” (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Checked_swing). That explains why I have seen checked swings called strikes because the ump decided there was attempt even though the bat did not pass through the strike zone.

• Speaking of baseball, I have been a bad baseball fan the last few years. After the Cubs’ fire sale of beloved players in 2021, I have not paid as much attention. I have had a lot going on, too, so that is also a factor.


The Quiet Man’s grade: C-

Comments

Popular Posts