Beer of the Weekend #976: Light & Squeezy

The beer of the weekend was a refreshing, fruity, and crushable brew I had at Red’s a while back and was very happy to find in a can: Light & Squeezy, brewed by the Confluence Brewing Company of Des Moines, Iowa.

Light & Squeezy

Serving type: 16-ounce can. “CANNED ON MAY/13/22” is printed on the bottom.

Appearance: Poured into a tulip. The color is raspberry red. A finger of white head dissipates fairly quickly and leaves a disc of skim and a collar.

Smell: It smells like a mix of fruit punch, 7-Up, and lemonade. Lots of berry, mostly raspberry. Lemon is also prominent. It is as advertised.

Flavor: Very tart and fruity. Raspberry and lemon dominate (surprise surprise). The sweetness lingers on the taste buds long after each sip. It is very drinkable and crushable. I think it is good stuff, especially for a hot summer day.

Fun facts about Light & Squeezy:

• Style: Radler. Interestingly, BeerAdvocate does not have a separate category for radler. Radlers are considered “fruit and field beer.”

• Price: $12.99 for a four-pack of 16-ounce cans at John’s Grocery in Iowa City.

• Alcohol content: 4.5 percent ABV.

• Here’s the description from the can, because Confluence brews feature decent descriptions:


Radler may mean cyclist in German, but you definitely don’t have to be a cyclist to enjoy one. And, while it may be true that this incredibly refreshing beer and fruit soda hybrid tastes its best after you finish some sort of activity that leaves you drenched in sweat, we promise it still tastes pretty darn awesome when you’ve been sitting in the air conditioning all day. We crafted this all-rounder by brewing up a Kolsch for an ultra-light, ultra-clean, and ultra-crisp base to mix with a big ol’ pile of juicy raspberries and some house-made lemon soda. A little tart, a little jammy, and a little sweet, we recommend keeping a 4-pack on hand so you can get your claws on one whenever the mood strikes.
 
• The fact that Light & Squeezy is brewed with lemon soda does not sit well with my pop-free commitment. I have not drunk pop in nearly nine years, and I always wonder if I break my streak or commitment when drinking something like radler. I suppose so, if I want to be super strict about it. But I don’t want to be. When I’m drinking radler or shandy, I’m drinking beer.

• Though I am a fan of Light & Squeezy, The Foxy Lady is not. When we had it at Red’s, she said it tastes like “fruity puke.”


The Quiet Man’s grade: A-.

Comments

Popular Posts