Beer of the Weekend #955: Big Grove Festbier

It’s October!

To celebrate the start of my favorite month of the year, I bought a sixer of Festbier, brewed by the Big Grove Brewery of Iowa City, Iowa, last Friday.

Big Grove Festbier

I am no longer a zealot who only drinks Oktoberfest beer during the official Oktoberfest period. Though I may not drink it before October, much to the chagrin of brewers and distributors (who seem to release Oktoberfest beers earlier and earlier every year), I like drinking märzen throughout the month—which I plan to do this year.

Serving type: 12-ounce can. “07/28/2021” is printed on the bottom.

Appearance: Poured into a stange. The color is light amber with a honey hue. A finger and a half of rocky head with a light amber tint dissipates slowly, leaving spots of lacing.

Smell: Lots of caramel. It smells like an Oktoberfest beer. There are also scents of toasted malt, honey, spice (I’m unsure what; maybe cinnamon), and cherry licorice.

Taste: It is toasty with lots of caramel. It’s fruity and pretty mild, but tasty. It’s a good, sessionable märzen. There are flavors of caramel, cherry licorice, and maybe a touch of cocoa.

Fun facts about Big Grove Festbier:

• Style: Märzen.

• Price: I forgot to grab the receipt, but I think it was $8.99 or $9.99 for a sixer of 12-ounce cans at Gray’s in Mount Vernon, Iowa.

• Alcohol content: 5.7 percent ABV.

• Big Grove Festbier is only the second märzen I have ever had that has been brewed in Iowa City. The first was Brewlab’s Festbier.


The Quiet Man’s grade: B.

Comments

Popular Posts