Good Tunes: Deftones, 'Beware'

 

Another week, another Spotify-inspired Good Tune. And this is another offering from Deftones: “Beware.”

I was going to post “Hole in the Earth,” which is a really good tune, but I listened to “Beware” again and like it more. I had never heard it before listening to Saturday Night Wrist recently. The third song on the album, it is, according to Wikipedia, Chino Moreno’s “warning to others about sex, drugs and drinking” (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturday_Night_Wrist#Lyrical_themes). It was apparently a rough time for Moreno and the band:

Saturday Night Wrist was the product of an arduous and stressful creative process lasting roughly two years and straining relationships within the band. Complicating matters and inspiring many of its songs were frontman Chino Moreno's drug addictions and the crumbling of his marriage. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturday_Night_Wrist)
 

Again, the sound vacillates between heavy and dreamy, angry and peaceful pensiveness. I love that about Deftones, though I’m sure they are not the only ones who do it. They are just the ones who stand out, especially since I’m trying to write about why I like their songs. I’m not a musician and don’t know much about music. I also might not know exactly why I like certain things, but I’ll try to figure it out.

Enjoy!

Comments

Popular Posts