Beer of the Weekend #951: Moon Rabbit

It’s the end of the year in beer, so I want to post one last review before my annual retrospective (which will be a short one, though maybe not as short as last year’s). This one is for a beer I reviewed in late March or early April: Moon Rabbit, brewed by the Big Grove Brewery of Iowa City, Iowa.

Moon Rabbit

Serving type: 16-ounce can poured into a pilsner glass.

Appearance: The color is clear, clean gold—which is super sexy, in my opinion. A half finger of buttery, off-white, bubbly head leaves a thick collar and skim.

Smell: It is floral with a sweetness that is reminiscent of honey. Rice is evident, and it reminds me of sushi, though that may be part of my imagination since this is a Japanese-style lager.

Taste: It is sharp and floral. Floral bitterness attacks the taste buds. Light malt is evident. It’s both spice and sweet. I’m unsure if I have ever had a beer as floral as this. It’s tasty and drinkable. I was expecting something super dry and akin to Sapporo, but this is much tastier.

Fun facts about Moon Rabbit:

• Style: Japanese-style lager.

• Price: $9.99 for a four-pack of 16-ounce cans at John’s Grocery in Iowa City on March 26, 2021.

• Alcohol content: 4.8 percent ABV.

• According to the Big Grove website, the beer is “[n]amed for the moon rabbit, whose legend is celebrated during the Tsukimi harvest festival.”

The Quiet Man’s grade: B+.

Comments

Popular Posts