Beer of the Weekend #948: Floral

I love me some German-style pilsner, so I had to get this: Floral, a German-style pilsner brewed by the ReUnion Brewery of Coralville, Iowa.

Floral

Serving type: 12-ounce can. “CANNED 11:09:20” is printed on the bottom. It should still be “floral” after about three months.

Appearance: Poured into a pilsner glass. The color is clear, clean gold. A finger and a half of white, fizzling foam dissipates slowly.

Smell: Grassy and floral. It is nice and sharp, and it reminds me of summer; it makes me think of drinking outside. There is light zest. It portends a light, bright bitterness and is very inviting.

Taste: The floral character dominates, which is awesome; it is just what I wanted! The floral bitterness sits on the taste buds after each sip, like a Bavarian hiker resting at a hilltop to admire the view and snack on a landjäger. There is also light grass and light zest. This would be a great camping beer. Too bad it’s January.

Fun facts about Floral:

• Style: German-style pilsner.

• Price: $9.99 for a six-pack of 12-ounce cans at the New Pioneer Food Co-op in Iowa City.

• Alcohol content: Unknown, at least to me. It is not printed on the can and there is no mention of the beer on ReUnion’s website.

• Speaking of ReUnion, it is a place I miss visiting. I did not go there much before the pandemic, but I miss filling my growler and washing down dinner with a few beverages there. I also miss the sweet potato fries at Mickey’s. I especially miss Friday afternoons at Oasis. Perhaps I just miss going places to eat and drink. I can still do that, and have twice, but would rather not.


The Quiet Man’s grade: A.

Comments

Popular Posts