Beer of the Weekend #919: Scrimshaw

I’m heading back to SoCal tomorrow for the annual conference. My original plan was to drive, but I decided to fly to save time and money and avoid unnecessary anxiety.

My plan to drive was predicated on taking the very long way home through Seattle to visit every state in the Pacific Northwest and northern Rockies. I planned a route along the coast in NorCal and Oregon, then across Washington, Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming on Interstate 90. However, it was not meant to be this time.

One of the places I wanted to stay along the route was Fort Bragg, California, home to the North Coast Brewing Company. So in honor of my postponed trip (I want to do it at some point—preferably without stopping in SoCal first), the beer of the weekend is North Coast’s Scrimshaw.



The color is gold and crystal clear with bubbles rising from the bottom. A finger of bubble-spotted, beige head settles slowly and evenly, leaving a bubble-spotted skim and collar.

The aroma is subtle, malty goodness! It’s mostly light malt, but there is a hint of toast. It is very enticing. There are also notes of grassy and earthy hops and fruit esters.

The mouthfeel is soft and smooth, and a nice earthy bitterness works the taste buds and lingers after each sip. It is very well balanced with light malt, a touch of toasted malt, strawberry and apple esters, and a touch of lemon citrus. The earthy character becomes more prominent as the beer warms, but it is never too bitter. Overall, it is a very simple, tasty, and enjoyable beer.

Fun facts about Scrimshaw:

• Style: Pilsner.

• Price: $9.99 for a six-pack of 12-ounce bottles at the New Pioneer Food Co-op in Coralville, Iowa.

• Alcohol content: 4.7 percent ABV.

• IBU: 22.

• Calories: North Coast’s website pegs the calories at 100, but I’m unsure what serving size that is for. I assume 12-ounces but it does not say. However, the estimated calories using the ABV and 12-ounce serving is 141.

• Scrimshaw makes me think of this recent
Bizarro cartoon:



I love me
Bizarro!

• The overnight stop in Fort Bragg I planned would have been the culmination of an epic drive from Santa Cruz along good ol’ Highway 1. (According to Wikipedia, it’s officially called California State Route 1.) I would have passed Mavericks, drove through San Francisco, crossed the Golden Gate Bridge, lunched in Bodega Bay, and admired the cliffs near Jenner. It’s a drive I want to make at some point.


The Quiet Man’s grade: A-.

Popular Posts