Beer of the Weekend #872: Modus Hoperandi IPA

The beer of the weekend is Modus Hoperandi IPA, brewed by the Ska Brewing Company of Durango, Colorado.



The color is clear, medium amber. Two fingers of light tan, buttery, bubbly head settles slowly, leaving a web of lacing on the glass.

The aroma is dank and arboreal. It smells like citrusy marijuana, if there is such a thing. There are scents of grapefruit, orange, and pine. Caramel and chocolate are noticeable in the background—way in the background.

The flavor is a pleasing mélange and the bitterness creeps in. (It’s a creeper! I love it when marijuana slang can be used to describe beer.) The grapefruit and orange from the aroma are not as prominent, but they are present. The bitterness is very arboreal and reminiscent of sap. The bitterness really works the taste buds and lingers on the tonsils after each sip. This is good shit.

Fun facts about Modus Hoperandi IPA:

• Style: American IPA.

• Price: $9.99 for a sixer of 12-ounce cans at the New Pioneer Food Co-op in Iowa City.

• Alcohol content: 6.8 percent ABV.

• Food pairings: The brewery website says Modus Hoperandi “[p]airs well with strong, spicy foods such as curries/Thai food. Also works well with smoked or grilled meats, and for dessert, go for the sweet, like cheesecake or crème brulee.”

• IBU: 88.

• Color: 18 SRM.

• My becker glass experiment continues this week, and I am very surprised by how well my Goose Island becker presented this beer. The head stuck around for much longer and the aroma was focused. I’m impressed! I was never a fan of my becker glasses before and even thought about donating or selling them. The experiment will continue, but I think I will keep them.


The Quiet Man’s grade: A-.

Popular Posts