Good Tunes: Hammer, 'Pumps and a Bump'



File this one in the why-did-this-bubble-to-the-surface-of-my-conscience? folder: the lyrics for Hammer's "Pumps and a Bump" popped into my head a few weeks ago. I had not thought about the song in decades, so I had to find it on YouTube . . . and share it for all to enjoy.

This is the alternative video for "Pumps and a Bump," featuring a fully clothed Hammer (and Deion "Primetime" Sanders). Hammer is wearing a Speedo in the first. According to Wikipedia, the first video "was banned from heavy rotation on MTV with censors claiming that the depiction of Hammer in Speedos (and with what appeared to be an erection) was too graphic." That's why Sanders is talking about "Pumps and a Bump 2" in the alternate version. Regardless, the first video is five and a half minutes of your life you can't get back.

Here's something I learned from this video: Hammer dropped the MC from his name in the early nineties.

The best thing about this video, besides the dancing (which is insane)? The Atlanta Falcons hockey-style jerseys. Holy cow! I totally forgot about those. I can't quite make out the brand label, but it looks like Apex. Those A's jackets are pretty hot, too.

Popular Posts