Good Tunes: Ace of Base, 'My Mind (Mindless Mix)'



During the women's slopestyle snowboarding competition a few nights ago, one of the boarders (I think it was Norway's Silje Norendal) gave a sharp, enthusiastic "Yoo!" just before heading down the slope. It sounded exactly like the "Yoo!" in a gem I've been meaning to post forever: "My Mind (Mindless Mix)" by Ace of Base.

Everybody knows Ace of Base's massive hits, such as "The Sign," "Don't Turn Around," and "All That She Wants," but the group's album The Sign has some other solid tunes on it. I know, because I own it on cassette:



Booyah!

Along with "My Mind (Mindless Mix)," my other favorite songs are "Dancer in a Daydream" and "Voulez-Vou Danser." "All That She Wants (Banghra Version)" isn't bad, either. All stoked a burgeoning interest in dance and electronic music when I was younger.

It would be fitting if Nordendal was the boarder who said it, because I can't think of Ace of Base without thinking about the 1994 Winter Olympics in Lillehammer. Why? Because I remember "The Sign" playing on the radio almost nonstop at the same time the games were happening. Was it around the same time I bought the cassette? I don't remember.

Popular Posts