Beer of the Weekend #862: Bully! Porter

Though I have a couple more aged beers that I want to review soon, I think it’s time to return to the sixer of Boulevard beers the church lady gave me. So, the beer of the weekend is Bully! Porter, brewed by the Boulevard Brewing Company of Kansas City, Missouri.



The color is non-opaque black. A finger and a half of tan, dense, buttery, billowy, bubble-spotted head dissipates very slowly and unevenly, leaving a spider web of lacing along the side of the glass.

The aroma is dark and, true to the label’s proclamation, robust. There is a mix of roasted and toasted malt, molasses, and black licorice. It doesn’t have that coffee-like roasted scent, and a smooth, oat-like aroma gives it an inviting, creamy aroma. It is chocolaty, but I get cocoa nibs instead of dark or milk chocolate.

The roasted malt is much more prominent in the flavor, making it taste like a proper pint of the dark stuff. It is like a robust brown ale with roasted notes. The mouthfeel is smooth and creamy, and the roasted bitterness lingers on the taste buds. The roasted flavor fades as the beer continues to warm. It also has a green, yeast-like aroma and flavor that I can do without. Thankfully, it is only very light after the beer has warmed. (On that note, I want to mention that yeast sediment is noticeable at the bottom of the bottle, which seems weird for a porter. But it has been a long time since I last drank a porter.)

Fun facts about Bully! Porter:

• Style: Porter.

• Price: It was a gift, so I have no clue.

• Alcohol content: 6 percent ABV.

• IBU: 49.

• Color: 131 EBC.

• For the record, I want to say that the drive between Des Moines and Kansas City feels endless. It may not be as endless as those segments between settlements along Interstate 80 in Nebraska, but it is still a haul.


The Quiet Man’s grade: B+.

Popular Posts