Beer of the Weekend #853: Furious Black

I was in Hampton last Saturday and filled my mini-growler with Harvest Moon Oktoberfest at Rustic Brew. I intended to write an official review, but after one glass I decided not to and dumped the rest of the beer down the drain.

Anyway, the beer this weekend is something I picked up for Wednesday night but decided to hold for a few more days: Furious Black, brewed by the Surly Brewing Company of Brooklyn Center, Minnesota.



(With one page left in my current reporter’s notebook, my notes are very condensed.)

The color is not-quite-opaque black. Two and a half fingers of dense, tan, bubbly head dissipates slowly. The aroma includes scents of pine, orange, grapefruit, maybe mango or pineapple (or maybe both), earthy spice, toasted malt, molasses, and chocolate. The flavor is dark and smooth with hints of citrus. Wow—that’s good! The bitterness is creeping but tame. There are flavors of toasted malt, light chocolate, pine, and zest. The malts are most prominent, but the pine and citrus almost provide balance.

Fun facts about Furious Black:

• Style: Black IPA.

• Price: $13.99 for a 750 ml bottle at John’s Grocery in Iowa City.

• Alcohol content: 6.7 percent ABV.


The Quiet Man’s grade: A+.

Popular Posts