Kernels to affiliate with Twins?

Since football season started, I have all but completely tuned out everything baseball-related. However, this caught my attention: the CRG reported today that the Cedar Rapids Kernels are apparently nearing an affiliation deal with the Minnesota Twins.

For the past twenty season, the Kernels, a Class A minor league team, have been affiliated with the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim. (Before that they were affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds and were called the Cedar Rapids Reds. The only reason I remember that is because of the catchy commercial jingle they used in 1992: “Cedar Rapids Reds / Super summer / Go Reds!”) The Kernels ended their relationship with the Angels at the end of the season this year and are hoping to affiliate with a MLB team in the Midwest. According to the CRG, the Twins have been affiliated with the Beloit Snappers for the past eight seasons, “though Beloit is widely considered the worst place to be in the 16-team Midwest League because of small and poor facilities, as well as little attendance.”

Officials emphasize that no deal has been reached between the Kernels and Twins — yet. A news conference is expected Wednesday, though.

Much like everything else related to Orange County, I do not have a high opinion of the Angels. In fact, I hate them. It is pure Schadenfreude every time they lose, especially in the playoffs. I have nothing against the Kernels, but, for me, their OC connection always hung over them. Needless to say, I am happy to hear that the Kernels cut ties with the Angels and hope they associate with the Twins. Though I am not a Twins fan, the Kernels’ connection to the North Star State and the good ol’ Midwest will make their games that much better.

Popular Posts