Beer of the Weekend #209: St-Ambroise Oatmeal Stout

After watching the Hawkeye game tonight, I need a beer.

Though I think I have settled on recommending Left Hand’s Milk Stout in the March LV, I am going to drink one last bottle of the black stuff. (To my surprise, Milk Stout is on tap at the Hawkeye Hideaway, a damn good bar that is, somewhat unfortunately, hidden away.) My nightcap/dessert is St-Ambroise Oatmeal Stout, brewed by the McAuslan Brewery of Montréal, Quebec, Canada.


Serving type: One 11.5-ounce bottle, which is a very weird size. Not 12 ounces, not 11.2 ounces, but 11.5 ounces. No freshness date or batch code.

Appearance: Straight pour into a pint glass. The color is opaque black; zero light passed through when I held it to my lamp, even at the bottom where the glass is thinnest. Three fingers of dense, deeply tanned head developed and dissipated slowly to leave a billowy lacing, ring around the edge, and trails of foam along the glass.

Smell: Very enticing. Roasted chocolate, a little coffee, a touch of sweet caramel, toffee, and oatmeal to bring it all together and smooth it out. As it warms, I noticed a tiny hint of black licorice. It makes my mouth water.

Taste: Bitter in the heavenly roasted way. It pretty much mirrors the smell, but it is much more burnt and smoky. Roasted chocolate, coffee, sweet caramel, toffee, and oatmeal. The mouthfeel is very thick and creamy.

Drinkability: This is one of the definitive versions of oatmeal stout. It is a little on the roasted side, but it is one damn good brew.

Fun facts about St-AOS:

-Style: The brewery and BA classify it as Oatmeal Stout.

-Price: $2.79/bottle at John’s Grocery in Iowa City.

-Serving temperature:
Beers of the World recommends serving at 54ºF.

-Alcohol content: 5 percent ABV.

-Food pairings:
Beers of the World recommends rich chocolate cake.

The Quiet Man’s grade: A.

Comments

Popular Posts