Beer of the Weekend #163: Ayinger Jahrhundert-Bier

Because last weekend’s BotW was so disappointing, I have decided to make up for it with two midweek tastings. The first, tonight, is Ayinger Jahrhundert-Bier, brewed by the Brauerei Aying of Aying, Germany.


I picked up this bottle of AJ-B during my usual Thursday night BotW beer run about two weeks ago. It was displayed in the room temperature area and was among the stacks of half-liter Ayinger, Weihenstephan, and Schneider Weisse offerings. I was immediately interested because of the “CENTURY CELEBRATION BAVARIAN LAGER” text on the front label.

I shamefully missed Guinness’ 250th anniversary beer, so I did not want to make the same mistake with Ayinger. However, after returning home with a bottle and doing a little research I found out Ayinger’s centenary celebration was in 1978. Jahrhundert-Bier was first brewed that year in commemoration, and has been brewed continuously since then.

Tonight I’m drinking like it’s 1978!

Serving type: One 500 ml bottle. No freshness date.

Appearance: Poured into my Dirty John’s pilsner glass. The color is a light straw. Two fingers of dense white head developed and dissipated slowly to leave a spotted lacing and ring around the edge.

Smell: Crisp and light barnyard malts with a little hop bitterness. Very true to style.

Taste: Follows the smell. Lots of crisp barnyard/grassy malts and a nice hop bite. Introduced in the flavor are hints of lemon citrus and honey for added sweetness.

Drinkability: Very straightforward, but not exactly something I expect a brewer to make for a centenary celebration. Though I was hoping for something bolder and more complex, Jahrhundert-Bier is a good brew.

Fun facts about AJ-B:

-Style: BA classifies it as a Dortmunder/Export Lager.

-Price: $3.99/bottle at John’s Grocery in Iowa City.

-Serving temperature: 40-45ºF, which is a little colder than normal BA recommendations.

-Alcohol content: 5.5 percent ABV.

-Food pairings: BA suggests German cuisine, buttery cheeses (Brie, Gouda, Havarti, Swiss), pork, poultry, fish, and shellfish. Some day, I would really like to offer my own food pairings. However, actually pairing beer with food is not my thing. I can guarantee you: the beer would be gone long before the food has been cooked.

The Quiet Man’s grade: B.

Comments

Popular Posts