Lookin’ schnazzy, Jess


There were a number of Iowa basketball legends at Fran McCaffery’s introduction today. Those I know of (who were pictured, at least) were Jess Settles, Kenyon Murray, Wade Lookingbill, Bobby Hanson, and Ryan Bowen.

Ah…the memories.

Lookingbill (the guy whose chin looks like it can kill) and Murray were idols of mine when I was a kid. Both are featured on the classic ’92-’93 season poster I have in my room back in IC. (Maybe Settles is, too. I can’t remember.) Murray always chose the game ball at home games. It was a quirk of his. If he didn’t like the ball chosen by the officials, Murray went to the rack, tried a few out, and picked another. Bowen was a tough, Dr. Tom grinder with shooting and penetration skills. Lookingbill, besides having a memorable name (not as memorable, though, as Mon’ter Glasper), was Chris Kingsbury before Chris Kingsbury — minus the ego. Bobby Hanson’s Iowa career predates my interest in Hawkeye basketball, but I remember him most for rallying the Chicago Bulls in Game 6 of the 1992 NBA Finals (the game the Bulls clinched the championship). I also got his autograph when I was in fifth grade. And Jess Settles was not only another versatile inside-outside man, who played about six years with added medical eligibility (he may still have some), but is also, apparently, a dapper dresser.

Nice Hawkeye sport coat, Jess. Who did the embroidery? Your mom?

I’m kidding, but I think it’s kind of funny. I have no clue what Jess is up to these days, but it’s cool to see him and a few other familiar faces showing their support. We need them.

Comments

Popular Posts