Let the Madness begin!

Thank God for CBSSports.com. If it weren’t for their free live streams, there’s no way I could “work” and watch the first round of the tourney at the same time.

In the spirit of March Madness, I thought I’d share one of my favorite tourney moments: Bryce Drew’s game winner for Valparaiso in 1998.



It’s a college basketball fan favorite, but I don’t think it’s the best tournament moment. However, it holds a special place in my heart because I saw it live in a somewhat improbable setting: in school.

I was a high school freshman in Mr. Raffensburger’s American Studies class. I think it was third period. Class had just started, and Raff, an avid sports fan, had a TV in the room tuned to the game. There was a test that day, and all the guys were hoping Raff would postpone it to let us watch the games. However, he only allowed us watch the end of the Valpo-Old Miss game.

After Drew caught the relay pass from the inbound, and his shot went in, the room erupted; all the guys, at least, went wild. As Valpo players fell all over each other, Raff turned the TV off. With a big smile on his face, and the tests in his hand, he said, “All right. That’s enough of that.”

Comments

Popular Posts