Beer of the Weekend: Mervgotti Distributing holiday party

There was no official tasting this week because I was a little lazy. But I did drink something special tonight.

I was invited by Mervgotti to the annual Mervgotti Distributing holiday client party. We stayed for a while, and it eventually devolved into a quasi-Class of ’70-something reunion, but it was good fun. Lots of Iowa City stories, lots of food, and lots of drinking. Rightfully, I drank a lot of PBR, because the Mervgotti warehouse is the Fort Knox of Peebers in IC.

The highlight of the night came when I shared a 1999 edition Anchor Christmas Ale with the Mervgotti.


Yes, I drank a 10-year-old beer, and it wasn’t bad. It was damn good stuff. Shamefully, we poured it in clear plastic cups, so it wasn’t an ideal tasting, but it was still good enough. It poured a dark brown, probably close to black, and the aroma was roasted chocolate and slight coffee malts. It smelled a lot like a stout or porter. But the taste was a little different. It was spicy, but not in the way Anchor’s 2008 Christmas Ale was. At first I thought it was cinnamon, but Mervgotti thought it was nutmeg. I’ll go with that — nutmeg. Not bad.

Comments

Popular Posts